The Kentucky Derby is right around the corner, but there’s a few more exciting events in racing happening soon. Here’s our top five:
1. Zenyatta’s foal: Will Zenyatta’s foal be a gray, as the sire is Tapit? The excitement builds as the big day gets closer. The foal picture might be the most shared photo of the season. Of course all eyes are on another great mare, Rachel Alexandra, as she continues to fight valiantly after her post-foaling surgery. She is improving each day and the foal, a filly by Bernardini, is doing fine.
2. Paynter’s comeback: A galloping miracle. Paynter, who looked laminitis and colitis in the eye and won the battle, is prepared to have his first work Tuesday at Santa Anita. The people’s horse has come such a long way, and whether he races again or not, he’s an inspiration to all at the track.
3. The Dubai World Cup card: This special set of races at Meydan is always electrifying, but it will be even more so this year with so many top-quality U.S.-based horses to cheer. Animal Kingdom, Royal Delta, Little Mike and Dullahan are just a few who are scheduled to make the trip, in addition to the great international stars who will compete on March 30.
4. Calvin Borel notching win #5,000: It’s going to happen. Borel has had some close calls in his last few races at Oaklawn and the moment is coming. It will be quite emotional for Borel as his longtime friend and agent, Jerry Hissam, has been in the hospital.
5. More Black Caviar, please: After her scintillating season debut in the Black Caviar Lightning Stakes, in which she set a new record without even breathing hard, what can we expect next? She is likely to take on Ortensia and a host of challengers in the Moonee Valley at Melbourne on March 22. The atmosphere should be even more thrilling as the race is under lights and is likely to be her final start in Melbourne, where her ardent fans adore her.